Commencement is rapidly approaching, and we are all looking forward to celebrating with you and your graduate! Please make note of the details for the senior parade, the senior breakfast, and commencement.
COMMENCEMENT 2021 INFORMATION:
May 22, Turner Chapel A.M.E., 9:00 a.m.
We are excited to announce that we will hold a graduation ceremony. Due to the Covid restrictions, guidelines, and policies set by Turner Chapel, we will need everyone’s cooperation to help the event run smoothly. Each family will be allowed seven guests, not including the graduate. We will not be offering additional seating, and we will not allow families to take seating from other families who may not use all seven of their seats. The graduation ceremony will be live-streamed for all family and friends to view. In addition to live-streaming the graduation service on May 22, families are able to order a video recording of the ceremony. Please note: This is a service provided by Turner Chapel AME and not MPCS.
We are grateful to Turner Chapel A.M.E. for allowing us to hold our graduation ceremony at their beautiful facility. We want to be certain that we are respectful of their generosity and abide by their policies and procedures. To that end, we appreciate your cooperation to ensure all goes smoothly. Please be sure to review the commencement instructions below.
- Parking is limited at Turner Chapel. Please carpool with your graduate and other guests. There is overflow parking directly across the street from the church. Please do not park on the grass or any area not designated for parking.
- No outside items. Turner Chapel does not allow balloons, flowers, strollers, or drinks (even water) of any kind. Please be respectful of their policies, and keep these items in your car.
- Enter together. All attending members of the party, including the graduate, must be present to enter together and to be seated. Families may begin arriving for seating at 8:15 a.m. The ceremony will begin promptly at 9:00 a.m. Late entry is not permitted. Once all attending family members are present with the graduate, please proceed to the entry line. Please keep a safe distance between your party and others.
- We will not be issuing paper tickets for graduation. An MPCS staff member will meet you at the top of the stairs to provide directions for seating. The elevator is only to be used by those who require assistance.
- Remain seated. The graduate will sit with his or her family. The entire party will sit together on the assigned pew. Once seated, we ask that guests please remain seated and to refrain from mingling so that we may ensure the ceremony begins on time.
- Facial coverings are required. All in attendance are required to wear a facial covering for the duration of the event, even when seated. Graduates will be allowed to remove their mask on stage to have a photo taken while receiving their diploma.
- Prayer station information located in the pew. Once seated, specific instructions will be provided to the graduate in the pew, indicating the graduation group number and the prayer station he or she will proceed to during the prayer of dedication. Only parents and siblings are to accompany the graduate to the prayer station.
- Please exit immediately after prayer. Once the prayer of dedication ends, please gather your entire party and quietly exit the sanctuary. Upon exiting, please return the cap and gown to Mrs. Hicks and depart from Turner Chapel property. Per Turner Chapel policy, there is to be no gathering or lingering of any kind on the Turner Chapel property at the ceremony's conclusion. Please be sure to take photos prior to the ceremony.
These instructions will be reiterated at the Senior Breakfast next Friday. Any updated information will be provided at that time. Please contact Tiffany Hicks, email@example.com, if you have any questions.
SENIOR PARADE INSTRUCTIONS:
May 20, MPCS Campus, 1:15 p.m.
- On-campus lineup will begin at 12:45 p.m. in the Murray Arts Center parking lot. The parade will begin at 1:15 p.m. The route will go around campus and will continue into The Overlook subdivision. You may decorate your car, and please have a sign with the senior’s name visible and what college they are attending!
- Students may be visible through a sunroof while on campus, but the Police Department states they must be inside the vehicle when the car crosses over Stanley Road and drives through The Overlook.
- Any family members not in the car may sit along the parade route on Tayside Crossing. Please park on only one side of the road to assist our neighbors in navigating the road safely.
SENIOR BREAKFAST INSTRUCTIONS:
May 21, Catherine Steele Sewell Stadium, 9:00 a.m.
Families may arrive at 8:45 a.m. and enjoy grab-and-go doughnuts and water. Please arrive in one car with your senior and park in their assigned spot. Families are asked to sit together on one row, skipping rows between families. We look forward to hearing from our SGA leaders and our Eagle Award winner, Mr. Dereko Robertson.
We are also pleased to announce exciting events this spring to celebrate our graduates. Please make note of the following:
- April 1: Senior Trip Meeting, 10:55 a.m., Kristi Lynn Theatre - Zoom meeting for parents
- April 2-9: Spring Break - No school
- April 12: Senior Trip Cancellation Deadline
- April 23: Family Serve Day
- April 23: Junior-Senior Prom
- April 30: Senior College Day/Cap and Gown Distribution - This event is hosted by the Office of Alumni Relations and Development. Seniors are invited to wear a shirt from the college they will be attending and paint their uniform bottoms with their college logo. We will be having a special lunch food truck, and seniors will also receive their cap and gown this day.
- May 1: Final College Choice - Due to Mrs. Hicks
- May 3: Honors Night, 6:30 p.m. - Honorees will attend in person, and parents can watch virtually.
- May 6-7: Bible Exams
- May 10-13: Senior Final Exams - Exams must be completed before departing for the senior trip.
- May 14-May 18: Senior Trip
- May 20: Senior Car Parade, 1:15 p.m., On Campus - Lineup will begin at 12:45 p.m. in the Murray Arts Center parking lot. The parade will begin at 1:15 p.m. The route will go around campus and will continue into the Overlook Subdivision. More details will follow closer to the date.
- May 21: Senior Breakfast, 9:00 a.m. - This will be a live-streamed event. There will be no graduation rehearsal following this event.
- May 22 - Commencement, 9:00 a.m., Turner Chapel (and live-stream) - Please respond to the survey link. Graduation attire for students includes, for boys, dark dress pants, dark dress shoes, white dress shirt, and tie; and, for girls, a nice dress with neutral-colored shoes.