Congratulations to the varsity MPC track team on an amazing performance this weekend at Berry College in GHSA State finals.
Starting with field events:
- Havalynn Abernathy finished 10th in the discus
- Hannah Cantwell competed in the long jump advancing to finals and placing 9th overall
- Niko Vangarelli threw a personal best in the discus and set a new school record
- Carson McKenzie jumped a personal best in the pole vault at 10 feet 6 inches
- Andrew “high flyin” Condra set a school record in the high jump at 6 feet, placing him 7th overall
- Lia Sanchez set a new school record in the pole vault jumping 9 ft., placing 4th overall
- Tying for State runner-up honors in the high jump were Savannah Casey and Riley Overton with a height of 5 ft.
Friday and Saturday’s running finals were full over amazing achievements:
- AK Hambrick placed 8th overall in the half mile
- Lia Sanchez ran a hard fought 100 meters to place 4th
- 4 x 400m team of Hailey Johnson, Savannah Casey, Bella Ferary and Angel Ferary placed in a solid 5th , running a new school record time
- Michael Coffee glided through the 200m placing an impressive 4th overall
- Johnny house ran out of his mind running his half mile in a new school record of 1:57 placing 3rd overall and casually breaking the long-standing school record in the mile with a blazing time of 4:33 placing 9th
- Abby Gardner and Lili Watford also ran personal best times in the mile. Abby with a time of 5:34 placing 9th and Lili with a new school record of 5:30 placing 7th overall.
- Grant Pulley competed in more events than any other athlete. In the hurdles he finished with an impressive 4th overall in the 110m hurdles and 3rd overall in the 300m hurdles
- Renee Dockins ran a beautiful 300m hurdles placing 4th overall and is your 2019 State Champion in her 100m hurdles placing first overall and setting a new school record.
- 4x100m relay team of Hannah Cantwell, Hailey Johnson, Tiana Taliaferro, and Riley Overton are your State Runner- ups
- 4x100 relay team of Lia Sanchez, Renee Dockins, Bella Ferary, and Angel Ferary are your 2019 State Champions. Out of 28 total private schools in competition, MPC had 8 girls who make the two best relay teams in the state.
- Special congratulations to Johnny House, Michael Coffee, Grant Pulley, and Andrew Condra. The points gained by these four gentlemen place their team 8th in the state out of 28 team.
At the end of competition, MPC took home 10 new school records, 2 individual event state championships, and our girls become the first private school ever in Cobb County to take home a track State championship. Amazing season Eagles!